Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fetching a Fetch

Lately I've become enamored of the idea of having a "Fetch. A Fetch is another name for a familiar spirit, the kind usually given by the demons of the Abramelin rituals, or conjured from a graveyard at night in some other grimoires, like the Sefer ha Razim.

From Wikipedia:

In early modern English witchcraft or Superstition, a familiar spirit, commonly called familiar (from Middle English familiar, related to family) or imp is a spirit who obeys a witch, conjurer, or other users of the supernatural, and serves and helps that person. Although they may not be as intelligent as their masters, they are often as intelligent as the average human. Familiars often perform domestic duties and help in farming, but also aid the person in bewitching people. If they look like ordinary animals, they can be used to spy on their masters' enemies. These spirits are also said to be able to inspire artists and writers (compare with muses). The familiars of some practicers of black magic also defined the characteristics of their owners. Some reclusive wizards rely on familiars as their closest friends. In demonology, it is said that many demons have the ability to grant to a conjurer a familiar to aid them.

(More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familiar)
I've loved the idea of having a fetch ever since I read a story by Lovecraft that involved the main witch character having a white cat-like thing as a fetch. Unfortunately, I've never had any reason to have one. Most of the things they are used for in stories and legends I can do for myself. I don't farm, hexing people is generally bad form, in my opinion, and I've already got Bune to help with inspiration for my writing. Burning a tea lite candle is enough to get me motivated for a project, it seems.

In spite of not having any reason for having one, I've got a method I'm itching to try out from the Sefer ha Razim. It involves heading to a graveyard at night, reciting the names of the angels, and performing the appropriate oration. Pretty simple stuff, and there's as pillar of smoke involved.

But I just can't justify it. Doing magick for its own sake isn't worth it to me. I've found that there are all kinds of unexpected side effects for every ritual, and without a pressing need, there's no point in linking myself to the dead that I can think of. Rather disappointing, I must say.

1 comment:

  1. What actually are the difference between a servitor and a familiar? I think that a familiar can be, but not necessary a servitor.

    The Japanese concept of shikigami is more akin to the concept of familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.