Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bored Magi

I have come to believe that there is nothing more dangerous than a bored magician.

Some people get bored and torture their victims, like a cat toying with a mouse that was unlucky enough to catch its mercurial attention. Some people sit back and mock others. Some people take their boredom and invest it in whatever madness they've been keeping on the back burner for just such an occasion.

On the whole, I'd say those who toy with others are probably the safest of the bunch. I'm in the camp of "let's make things interesting," and that usually means conjuring something I haven't before, or making some magical craft in the Lab. The gold-painted Sculpey Seal of Bune was probably the least dangerous, and most amusing.


The Crystal Skull was less amusing, but more interesting. The Spirit Pot has been the most profitable and has provided the most long-term fun.

I also use this forum to discuss things that are on my mind, like Bored Magi. 

I'm not saying I don't toy with people on message boards when I'm bored, or that I don't mock people. I'm probably the worst offender when it comes to that.

That's dangerous though. I've been reading Patrick Dunn's latest book, and I'm only on the intro where he talks about the possible etymology of the word "ABRACADABRA." One possible original meaning is "I create as I speak." This is the epitome of what I practice as a magician. Made in the image of God who created through Logos, the Word, and created to continue this Work in the world around me.

When we speak, as magicians, we are changing the world. Everyone does it, but I think magicians have a little more power behind their words as a result of their closer-ness to the Source of our being. Watching what we say is important. I called someone an "unmedicated bipolar" person on a list today. I don't know if that's what they are or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out later that I was right. Did I seal it into being by saying it, or was I just commenting on what was apparent already? Does it matter?

I don't know. On the one hand there's the real possibility of megalomania. On the other, there's the real possibility that everything we speak into being does come into being. Maybe not EVERYTHING, but ... still. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

So my advice to anyone else and especially myself is to think before you speak, and speak proactively. Have a list of good things to say, not like affirmations, but as alternate text to put forward when confronted with a situation that you could make worse.

I'll get started on mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.