Saturday, June 20, 2009

Book Review: When a Tree Falls

For the first time in a decade, I managed to read an entire book of fiction without getting disgusted, distracted, or distraught. When a Tree Falls, by Nick Farrell, is a good read. It's fiction, it's funny, but it's also got depth to it that folks of an esoteric emanationist bent will appreciate. It's definitely the best fiction I've read in a long time.

All in all, great book! Worth the purchase price and then some. I was particularly drawn in at the end, eagerly anticipating what happened next, waiting to see how it all unfolded. I figured out part of the plot early on (there are only, after all, 14 stories in all the universe), but I still found myself excited about the denouement, and it turned out to be interesting and crafty.

And I totally loved the thing about the final transition. The characters of the deities, Angels, and Monad his own self were completely resonant with what I've experienced as a magician.  At least the bits I've met. So far. It's a fun read, and you can tell it's based on very real spiritual experiences, and they match up a lot with my own (even though he's GD'd his way through the spheres). Jeff and the Angels, particularly.

I totally recommend it to my friends' summer reading list.

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.